Ductless Heating and Cooling
Split system air conditioners allow you to cool or heat individual rooms or your entire home without ducting.
Why Choose Ductless Mini-Split Air Conditioning?
Ductless split systems are perfect for augmenting an existing air conditioning unit, or as an alternative to central AC. Ductless split systems are a good choice for:
- Older homes that are not set up with existing ductwork, or where it may even be a code violation to add ductwork.
- Smaller living spaces like condos, apartments, garages, studios, or tiny houses.
- Energy efficient homes. Ductless mini-splits save about 30% more energy than conventional ducted air conditioning. Leaky ductwork is one of the leading causes of higher energy bills from heating and cooling.
How Does Ductless AC Work?
Ductless HVAC works similarly to central air conditioning. The outside unit is a condenser/compressor, the inside unit(s) contain an evaporator and distribute air to each room. The thermal energy is absorbed through a refrigerant line, which distributes heat inside or outside, depending on whether you are heating or cooling your home.
The big difference: instead of ductwork distributing cold/warm air throughout your home, each inside unit distributes air directly to each room. These inside units are usually mounted on the wall of each room.
Minimal Structural Changes to Your Home
Adding central air conditioning to your home requires invasive ductwork. Even small window-sized AC units require a hole in the wall. With split system air conditioning, only a small three-to-four inch hole in the wall is required to run the refrigerant conduit between the outside and inside units.
There Are Many Advantages to Ductless AC
- Climate control for individual rooms. Each indoor wall-mounted unit can be set to its own temperature.
- Energy efficiency. Ductless split system air conditioning units save 30-50% on energy bills on average compared to ducted AC systems.
- Runs quiet. The indoor units on split systems can run in a whisper quiet mode.
- Simple installation and maintenance. Air filters are easily removable and washable.
Single or Multi Zone Units
Ductless mini-splits allow for one to four “zones” – each zone is a room where an indoor unit is installed. Each zone has it’s own temperature control.