When Should You Replace Your Heating System?
Furnaces last a long time, but they do not last forever. The question is, will it make more economic sense to opt for furnace repair or replace your heating system? The average heating and cooling system lasts between 15 and 20 years. There are signs that indicate when your gas furnace is getting close to the time it needs to be replaced.
Signs Your Gas Furnace Needs to Be Replaced
If you see more than a couple of these symptoms, it may be time to start shopping for a new central heating system.
- Your gas furnace is more than ten years old. Gas furnaces start declining in heat output before their final failure point of 15 to 20 years.
- Your furnace struggles to heat your home in winter. This can be a sign the furnace will need to be replaced in the future.
- You are paying for furnace repairs each year. If you have paid for furnace repairs several years in a row, it may be more cost-effective to replace the furnace with a new unit.
- Your furnace is hot, but your house is not. This usually means you are headed for heating equipment failure.
- Constant thermostat adjustment. When you must adjust the thermostat often to stay comfortable, it may be a sign your furnace is straining to maintain temperature.
- Chronic rattling and other noises. An indication something is wrong with your furnace. If heating repairs do not fix this, furnace replacement may be on the horizon.
- Random furnace shut-offs. This is one of the definitive signs your current gas furnace is on it’s last legs.
Benefits of a New Furnace
These are some of the positive things that come with a new furnace.
- Improved utility bills. When you replace your furnace, the thermal heat output usually improves substantially. Many time, furnace replacement happens because the current heating system is near end-of-life.
- Even heating throughout your home. One of the symptoms of a dying furnace is uneven heat distribution. Installing a new furnace allows you to have evenly spaced heat in every room.
- Opportunity for an upgrade. If you want to upgrade from a single-stage to a two-stage furnace, or integrate a ductless heating a cooling system, replacing your furnace is the perfect time.
We’re Experienced in Furnace Installation
Our HVAC specialists can replace all types of furnaces: single-stage, two-stage, two-stage variable speed, modulating furnaces, gas furnaces, and oil furnaces.
We Work With These Trusted Heating Brands
L & R Air Conditioning and Refrigeration is proud to be a member of the Refrigeration Air Conditioning Contractors of America (RACCA).